LONDON VARSITY 2021- Basketball Review

Women’s Match

KCL sliped to another defeat at the Somers Town arena as they went down 57-44 to Gower. After a very even opening first quarter, the UCL outfit gradually pulled ahead in the second through a series of 1-point penalty shots.

However, the end-to-end nature of the game continued despite going down, with KCL bringing the scores in at 27-16 at the end of the second quarter.

After feeling re-energised for the 2nd half of the match, the lions made a very bright start and reduced the arrears to scoring up 20 points in a quick blitz period. But Gower pulled in front yet again, speeding up toward the 40 points mark with a series of driving runs in to the box, again gradually chipping their way ahead via consistent 2 pointers.

By the final quarter, the game was a touch out of sight for the Lions, ending up going down 57-44 but not after some entertaining attacking moves to build up there score.

A very respectable performance in a very entertaining match.

Men’s Match

An enthralling encounter provided brilliant evening entertainment for all viewers in this one, even though the second two quarters meant that the result seemed to be somewhat of a formality for UCL, who ran out 96-44 victors.

The opening few minutes of the match set the tone for the encounter- UCL brought about a 3-0 point lead with clinical 2 and 1 pointers, before Strand responded in emphatic fashion, pulling ahead with a blitz of 7 points in succession.

That pattern continued for the remainder of the first quarter and the beginning of the 2nd, where the sides were neck-and-neck, either one taking turns in pulling ahead of the other through a mixture of penalty shoots, 2 pointers and the occasional 3 to get the commentators and lads on the bench continually entertained.

Unfortunately, Gower undoubtedly found a second wind in the final two quarters, continuing to perform with the same, or somehow even improved, intensity, whilst Strand struggled to deal with the pace of their movement going forward, especially that of number 7, Miguel Rodriguez.

Nonetheless, the Lions continued to launch flair-littered attacks in order to keep their points going up, and too to keep viewers entertained, but 96-44 it finished.

Now 3-1 to Gower in the series.

Staff writer Au Young Yiu Wai examines the methods Heathrow Airport could adopt to become a more student friendly space. Amidst the flurry of...

Turnout-related drops in drink prices at the Vault and Guy’s Bar during the 2024 King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU’s) elections led to total...

On March 13, 2024, the KCL Politics Society hosted the second iteration of its Bi-Annual Political Debate on Strand Campus. Staff Writer Alice Fu...

News Editor Imogen Dixon reports on this year’s London Varsity rugby matches. The final fixtures of the 2024 Varsity season followed the confirmation of...