What does Netflix’ “Love is Blind” teach us about the importance of companionship?

0
370

Netflix’s newest mind-boggling show, Love Is Blind, has everyone talking. The obscurity of couples getting engaged after mere days without ever coming face to face seems entertaining enough when it comes down to it, but why is there a need for such a show? The show puts a series of singletons in isolation pods in which they go on a series of dates where they can talk endlessly and make connections with a faceless stranger. It aims to prove the theory that we can fall in love solely with a person without physical attraction ever coming into play. Couples on the show get engaged after only 5 days of talking without having a single idea of what their fiancé looks like. The show then follows them through the journey of meeting one another and trying to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in everyday life to see if they can make it work for the long haul.

But what kind of message does a show like this send us?

The prospect of finding love and finding ‘the one’ is so heavily ingrained in today’s culture that it can often take over our lives. Reaching a certain age and still being single can often be considered as being ‘lonely’ or ‘unwanted’ rather than being celebrated as knowing that you are more than just your romantic yearnings. People can often feel embarrassed revealing that they are single to others due to the stigma put in place by shows such as this which present marriage and partnership as a necessity at a certain point in life.

Being comfortable by yourself in your own company is extremely important and valuable and should not be tainted by reality television telling you otherwise. The couples on this show go through with marriages that have visible cracks caused by things such as financial burdens, proving that their need for a partnership overrode those problems. I believe that ideas of love and companionship should be detached from being necessities and instead be perceived as something that adds to your happiness rather than completes it.

Important public figures on social media such as Florence Given and Chidera Eggerue present being single as something which is nearly more important than being in a relationship as it enables you to learn so much more about yourself and build on important traits such as self-worth and love. Qualities in which they believe can sometimes be destroyed by relationships. People can often lose sight of who they are in a bid to keep the other person happy within the relationship.

Despite being extremely entertaining to watch, I disagree with reality tv of this nature. Rather than honing in on the importance of humans as individuals, it endorses the belief that we are not complete unless we have another half.