Oxford’s Vaccine proves effective against Covid-19

Credit: University of Oxford

In late November, The University of Oxford revealed exciting news about their newly developed Covid-19 vaccine, ChAdOx1 nCoV-2019, which proved to be highly effective towards the prevention of virus transmission.

According to official sources, the vaccine just underwent phase 3 of clinical trials, which assembled 24,000 volunteers from the UK, Brazil, and South Africa with different geographical backgrounds and age groups; and the results are satisfying. The clinical analysis suggested that the vaccine is 70.4% effective overall. When two full doses are injected, the vaccine would be 62% effective. And by following a specific regimen, where a halved first dose is administered followed by a full second dose, vaccine efficacy could productively increase to 90%.

This is certainly a striking advancement in humanity’s fight against Covid-19 as potent vaccines with the level of efficacy exceeding 50% are finally produced. Looking at the structure of the vaccine, it is made from a weakened version of a common cold virus (adenoviris), which through genetic transformation, could induce notable growth of T cells and further strengthen the immune system, offering efficient protection from Covid-19. In terms of the possibility of side effects, the clinical trial showed no severe or unusual activity in the participants’ bodies when they are injected.

Overall, the performance of the vaccine can be seen as mild and stabilising taking into account of the preliminary data at hand, while further analysis of other aspects and functions of the phase 3 data will be sent in for scientific review in later periods. This significant move in tackling the spread of the virus is a sign of change for the world and people’s ways of life where one could witness a possible return to normalcy in the near future. Professor Sarah Gilbert at the University of Oxford stated:

“The announcement today takes us another step closer to the time when we can use vaccines to bring an end to the devastation caused by SARS-CoV-2. It has been a privilege to be part of this multi-national effort which will reap benefits for the whole world.”

Oxford has already collaborated with AstraZeneca on the establishment of global distribution chains. One of the notable strengths of the Oxford vaccine is that it is easy for extensive manufacturing and storage. The vaccines can be easily preserved in fridges at temperatures between 2 to 8 degrees, thus allowing rapid dissemination to extended areas and countries around the world. The central aim of Oxford and AstraZeneca’s collaboration is to provide the vaccine on a widespread and equitable basis, reaching those who are most desperately in need with an emphasis on the protocols for non-profit business. On this joint professional aim to contribute to the global world, Pascal Soriot, Chief Executive Officer of AstraZeneca, commented:

“Today marks an important milestone in our fight against the pandemic. This vaccine’s efficacy and safety confirm that it will be highly effective against COVID-19 and will have an immediate impact on this public health emergency.”

There’s still a long way to go to fully end this global health crisis, but the recent announcement of a highly eligible and viable Covid-19 vaccine offers fundamental hope that societies across the globe would be able to return to normalcy in the following months.

Staff Writer Mohammed Mustafa Ali discusses the future positive impacts of AI, including the future of biotechnology, business and space travel. As proven by...

Staff Writer Bella Leathley discusses the Conservative Party’s fall from grace, highlighting Boris Johnson’s failed premiership, an overly rigid COVID-19 protocol, and a decaying...