London Varsity Series 2020 Previews: SATURDAY

0
449

The 2020 London Varsity Series is fast approaching and in anticipation of a special one-off Varsity edition of Roar News, we’ll be publishing our previews online to get you ready for what promises to be an exciting Varsity.

Fencing

Navneet Ramloll

PREVIEW PENDING

Help paint the town red this year by supporting King’s in Fencing at the KCL Great Hall (Strand Campus) from 11am on Saturday the 7th of March.

Men’s Lacrosse

Louis Jacques

On the back of a topsy-turvy Varsity where King’s started as favourites but ended empty-handed, the men’s Lacrosse team have maintained last year’s otherwise remarkable standard in the top half of the table with a strong fresher contingent among them. The likes of fresher Marcus Buchannan, who has gone from zero-to-hero in weeks, join Eugene Fang, 6th year medic and the only squad member to have been around long enough to see a KCL Varsity win, in this year’s attempt to bring home the coveted silverware. They have their chances too, with UCL lagging behind London’s best after relegation last year – but they certainly aren’t being passive as they look to go from strength to strength and take a long-awaited win in Men’s Lacrosse back to the Strand.

Help paint the town red this year by supporting King’s in Men’s Lacrosse at the Kings House Sports Ground from 11am on Saturday the 7th of March.

Women’s Lacrosse

Louis Jacques

Varsity victorious for the first time in 2019, the Women’s Lacrosse team have ridden a high since last March – now joint top of their division with a handful of matches to spare. Solid as a rock in defence and illustrious in attack when the right players click, they have demonstrated their prowess already this year, most notably in a 24-0 drubbing of Brunel. Fortune has not favoured them much however, as the start of their season was plagued with cancelled matches and their cup run ended before they even set foot on the field, courtesy of a coin toss. Not to mention that their uptown rivals are thriving in the league above, meaning the girls clad in red have their work cut out for them. The likes of new ‘keeper Joni Roberts and adept freshers like Maddie Shaw will thus go into a second successive Varsity game as underdogs with a point to prove, hoping to repeat last year’s triple-overtime heroics.

Help paint the town red this year by supporting King’s in Women’s Lacrosse at the Kings House Sports Ground from 1pm on Saturday the 7th of March.

Tennis

Alfie Wilson

Until the smell of freshly cut grass begins to waft over from Wimbledon in late June, the tennis event of the year is surely on Saturday the 7th of March, when the annual set of Varsity matchups will be held, including all of men’s and women’s singles, men’s and women’s doubles and mixed doubles events. Despite their best efforts, the King’s team don’t come into 2020 in the best of form; not only is the spectre of losing the event to UCL last year still looming over them but some recent defeats are still fresh in their memories, such as the KCL first team recently losing to their 2nd team. However, new editions added to the fixture plate this year have made the women’s outfits considerably stronger, the area where King’s have the best hope of pulling off an upset. Like many before them, hopefully this generation of red-and-whites can channel the same underdog spirit to make history.

Help paint the town red this year by supporting King’s in Tennis at the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre from 1pm on Saturday the 7th of March.

American Football

Akshat Chandel

After the heroic turnaround in the fixture last year, On March 7 the KCL Regents are back to contest another edition of the American football varsity game. The Regents have shown strong form this year beating the likes of City, Greenwich and UEL having scored 30+ points and conceding none against both. UCL also have shown strong form coming into this game having scored 50 points against Canterbury in their last fixture before Christmas. KCL have shown they have strength in both offense and defence. Running back Sean Seeds is a potent threat while defensively Yassine Belkhou has been cited as the  MVP for this season. President Feras Fayez had this to say ‘We’re expecting a very close game, with both teams having a strong defensive foundation, so the game will be decided by which offense can find a chink in the opposition’s armour’. The game promises to be a tense encounter, potentially being defined in seconds in a single play!

Help paint the town red this year by supporting King’s in American Football at the New River Sports Centre from 4pm on Saturday the 7th of March.

GKT Women’s Hockey

Shairyaar Ahmad

The GKT Women’s Hockey team has had an excellent year as they sit atop the LUSL table without suffering a single defeat all season. While they have faced some stiff competition in BUCS matches, a promising intake of freshers points towards a bright future. Having only faced RUMS once this year in a 0-0 stalemate and with a heartbreaking defeat last year, it looks like Varsity will be a tough fixture for the GKT Women’s team but with revenge at the forefront of everyone’s minds and an incredible LUSL run, there’s plenty of reasons to be optimistic about what is sure to be a fiery encounter.

Help paint the town red blue and yellow this year by supporting King’s in GKT Women’s Hockey at the Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre from 6:30pm on Saturday the 7th of March.

This event will be broadcasted LIVE by Roar News

GKT Men’s Hockey

Shairyaar Ahmad

It has been a tough year for GKT Men’s Hockey as the team struggles valiantly against the prospect of relegation from the premier league in the run up to the all-important Varsity game but, in the face of this, they have managed to fight their way to the much-vaunted final of the UH cup. Despite the up and down results in the league, the GKT Men’s team can be optimistic going into the Varsity game having never lost against our fierce Gower rivals and with some luck, the team will be able to not only survive relegation, but bring home some silverware this season as well as some much-deserved bragging rights.

Help paint the town red blue and yellow this year by supporting King’s in GKT Men’s Hockey at the Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre from 8:30pm on Saturday the 7th of March.