London Varsity Series 2020: GKT HOCKEY

GKT Womens’ Hockey

RUMS Women 6-3 GKT Women

A devastating loss for the GKT women against our fierce Gower rivals in this Varsity game despite a valiant effort and some terrific play. GKT were undone by a lethargic start, with RUMS scoring within the first minute. RUMS then took advantage of poor defending to score a second after pressing GKT back into their own half. Things went from bad to worse as RUMS scored from a short corner and it seemed that GKT were in for a drubbing. Fortunes changed for GKT however as a tenacious run up the right wing from number 16 followed by a scything cross resulted in GKT’s first goal. GKT discovered their confidence and their Kings heart and began to up the pressure, pushing RUMS right back into their own half. Number 16 continued to be a menace on the right wing with number 50, wearing an old GKT kit cutting out pass after pass on the left and driving play forwards with accurate passing. GKT took an effective short corner and reduced the deficit once again giving fans and players alike hope that the comeback was on. Unfortunately, the last play of the half was a RUMS short corner, as they scored again and set up a nervy second half.

The second half began as a midfield battle, with neither team taking control of the game. Number 50, in a new GKT kit, was mercurial from right back, cutting out every RUMS ball and restarting GKT counters with surgical passes and unbelievable dribbling, at times beating 1 or 2, at others making her way past 5 or 6. Number 50 in the old kit and number 16 continued to harry the RUMS defence with aggressive runs but despite their best efforts, RUMS managed to score again, taking the score up to a worrying 5-2. GKT began to run out of steam but reached deep to find a second wind and struck once more before RUMS managed a final goal to bring their tally to 6. Despite their slow start and their weakness at defending short corners, GKT women played with the heart and courage of true Kings Lions, with both number 50’s and number 16 having an outstanding game.

GKT Mens’ Hockey 

RUMS men 1-4 GKT Men

GKT Mens won 4-1 against RUMS in a game in which they were utterly dominant. GKT scored within the first minute and they certainly started as they meant to go on, pinning the entire RUMS team into the last quarter of the pitch. Wave after wave of GKT attack was repelled with desperate last ditch defending from RUMS and if not for the Gower keeper and his well timed runs and blocks, RUMS might have found themselves 4 or 5 down within the first few minutes. GKT kept the pressure up and quickly smothered the few speculative and wayward RUMS passes before scoring again to make it 2-0. Number 8 and number 10 were instrumental in both sweeping up and RUMS balls and playing incisive passes to keep attacks alive. Number 9 made headway with smart, aggressive dribbles up the left but GKT couldn’t secure a scoreline to reflect their dominance as they headed down the tunnel.

The second half was much more even, with RUMS managing to finally find their way past the halfway line, and the UCL supporters finally finding their voices. RUMS were caught sleeping at the back with their keeper saving a 1 on 1 and keeping them in the game. The GKT players gave as good as they got with the game stuck in a midfield mire. GKT had a player sin binned for a crucial tactical foul but still held firm with a man down. There was handbags, like any great Varsity game, and another GKT player went into the sin bin. RUMS increased the pressure and after a long spell, managed to score 6 minutes from time. But if they thought that was a lifeline they were sorely mistaken. GKT retaliated with the brutality and predatory instincts of a lion to score from a short corner and make it 3-1. GKT were still not done. They piled on the misery and win back possession in their own half before a sweeping counter resulting in GKT going 4-1 up. Number 81 set hearts racing with the prospect of a final goal after hammering through the UCL defence but his perfectly weighted cross was just missing a final connection. The match ended 4-1 with RUMS well beaten and GKT well on top and in high spirits.

KCLWRFC celebrate LUSL success