Local Places to Visit in London

0
357

Deputy Editor Virjinia Vassileva recommends local places for newcomers and returning students. This piece is written in collaboration with Unify London, a newly established student led website that serves as a guide to London’s local places that offer student discounts and student friendly prices.

The constant change in safety policies and the fear of the pandemic make it harder for us to enjoy our free time. However, here is a short list of restaurants, bars and other entities that might be of interest to those students who feel comfortable going to such places. In addition to a cosy and friendly atmosphere, all of these have exclusive student discounts or offer food, drinks or services at more student-friendly prices. 

Hush Bar

Image taken from TripAdvisor.

Hush Bar is a hybrid of a restaurant and a bar. At first, I was a bit sceptic, as the place looked too fancy for my pocket. All the beautiful baskets with flowers and the pretentious white tablecloths were screaming: “TOO EXPENSIVE!” and the prices on the menu were no better. But right at the moment when the glitter was about to send me back home, I realised that sometimes being a student in London is a true bliss. The place offers a 15% discount on all food and drinks on Mondays and Tuesdays. It also offers an option of an aperitivo cocktail and fresh Pinsa pizza for £15 from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. from Thursday to Saturday. This may not be the cheapest place, but the quality it offers is definitely worth it.

The place offers take-outs. You can book here

8 Lancashire Court, Brook Street, London W1S 1EY

Lost & Found Cocktails

Image taken from South Club London.

Lost & Found is a food and cocktail bar in South London. The friendly baristas and vivid music make you enjoy your time there, feeling almost like you are drinking a beer at one of those pre-game home parties. Their menu includes classic cocktails, as well as specials with fresh ingredients. A bonus for all students is their 2-4-1 offer on Wednesdays and Sundays between 5 and 8 p.m. And even if you miss the ‘happy hour,’ prices are pretty affordable with most wines and beers under £6. 

The place offers deliveries. Open Wednesday to Friday 5 p.m. – 10 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 3 p.m. – 10 p.m.

10 Bedford Hill, Balham, London SW12 9RG

Purezza Pizza

Purezza is the UK’s first vegan pizzeria. They are serving plant-based versions of traditional Italian dishes, as well as their own specials. I have never been there but have heard very good reviews, which only accompany the deliciously sounding menu. This is yet another time when being a student grants you some benefits, as they offer a 10% student discount. The pizzeria is quite close to Regent’s Park, so it might be a good way to renew your energy levels after a walk around the park. 

The place offers deliveries. Open every day, 12 p.m. – 10 p.m.

45-47 Parkway, NW1 7PN

Ziferblat

Enough with the food and drinks. While I have never been to this place, a lot of my friends are speaking high of it, and apparently it is also on Unify’s list of recommendations. People describe Ziferblat as a cosy and welcoming social hub, where you can have unlimited tea, coffee and snacks while doing work or simply chatting with friends. You are paying for the amount of time you spend there rather than for what you consume, and the prices are very affordable. Everyone who has been there has told me the place is definitely worth it, and I myself am looking forward to going back to London to visit it. 

Open from Wednesday to Saturday 10 a.m. – 10 p.m.

1Vince Street/233a Old Street, Hoxton, London EC1V 9HB

Hot Yoga South

This is a suggestion for those of you who seek something more active and are tired of the usual drinking and eating. Hot Yoga South is a yoga studio that specialises in dynamic hot yoga. During those classes the humidity is set at 50% and causes you to sweat, which detoxifies your body through your skin. They offer a variety of classes ranging from hot yoga to Pilates, with virtual classes available for those who may not want to come down the studio. Classes are appropriate for beginners, as well as for more advanced. The luck of being a student kicks in again, as they have a 15% student discount.

Find their schedule here.

5 Hildreth Street Mews, London, SW12 9RZ

All of these are also part of the Unify London guide, where you can find many other interesting and more affordable places.

The information on discounts and working hours is accurate as of October 17. 

Deputy Editor @ Roar News. Liberal Arts. Content creation, design, photography. Huge nature and mountain lover.