KCL to Suspend Regular Teaching

0
310

In a message to students released today, Chris Mottershead, a King’s representative, confirmed that the university would be moving to online methods of teaching from March 23 until the beginning of May, as a result of the current Covid-19 pandemic. ‘We will be reviewing the situation regularly,’ said Mottershead. Clinical placement will also be suspended for medical students until further notice, in order to allow clinicians to focus on delivery of care. Affected students will, according to Mottershead, be provided ‘a full programme of teaching activity using e.g. webinars, so that progress on the course is not interrupted.’ All in-person university events with planned attendance of fifty or more have been cancelled.

The email sent to KCL students today.

In a final comment, Mottershead stated that ‘these are extraordinary and uncertain times and we are not taking these decisions lightly. We believe this is the best course of action to protect our community of students and staff.’

These announcements come after a separate message on March 11, when Mottershead assured students that ‘the university remains open’, but that ‘we are having to make unprecedented decisions as the situation evolves.’ In that message, Mottershead first announced that KCL would be holding non-conventional assessments this academic year, with specific details and methods to be decided on a departmental basis.

The decision also follows LSE’s decision yesterday to hold online courses until the end of term, as well as the UK government’s recommendation that schools should not be shut.

If you feel that you may need to self-isolate, contact the NHS 111 Coronavirus service, notify King’s via questions@kcl.ac.uk and notify your personal tutor and/or department to ensure appropriate support.