A Very Covid Christmas: Best Holiday Films

Roar writer Annabelle Pope shares her top five films to watch to get into a Christmas spirit.

I had the biggest laughing fit since the beginning of lockdown when I listened to Boris Johnson’s latest speech. I just could not believe that our Prime Minister said the line “‘Tis the season to be jolly. But ‘tis also the season to be jolly careful.” I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. As Chris Stapleton has very accurately put it on Jimmy Kimmel Live, it’s going to be a very Covid Christmas.

With morale low, I understand the “Christmas spirit” is the last thing on anyone’s mind. At first, I thought to make this article somewhat of a joke and include titles such as Five Feet Apart, The Whole Nine Yards and The Longest Yard, just to remind everyone to maintain social distancing. However, after such a draining year, I think we all deserve some Christmas cheer. So here are Roar’s top five picks for films to get you into the Christmas spirit. 

How The Grinch Stole Christmas

I thought I’d start with a classic. The whole world has been feeling pretty grinchy this year. I don’t know about you, but the build-up to Christmas has felt pretty surreal. This year was one of the longest, but somehow went by so fast, too. However, I think How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a great film to get you started. Jim Carrey’s extremely comedic interpretation of Dr. Seuss’ character really makes the film what it is: a Christmas masterpiece. I don’t want to spoil the ending for anyone, but I’m certain that by the end of this one you’re sure to be left with that happy fuzzy feeling inside.

Arthur Christmas

I’ve been doing a lot of reminiscing this year, thinking about happier times when I could hug my friends or step outside without feeling a sense of impending doom. In that vein, I’ve been watching many of my childhood favourites. One of my favourite Christmas movies was this one. Not only is the cast iconic, with the voices of James McAvoy, Hugh Laurie, Bill Nighy and more, it’s also a guaranteed giggle-fest. It’s the perfect film to tuck into with a big mug of hot chocolate and mince pie with the whole family. 

Love Actually

What a film. I doubt this one needs much explaining, because anyone who hasn’t seen this one lives under a rock. I watch this film every year on Christmas Eve with my whole family – it’s a tradition that will most certainly be maintained, as we all need a little laugh and to maybe shed a tear or two. If the trailer can’t convince you to watch it, here’s all you need to know: Hugh Grant dances, Liam Neeson gets to keep his Irish accent, Emma Thompson cries, and there’s a “running through the airport to tell the love of your life your true feelings” scene. Just go and watch it. 

The Holiday 

This one is my personal favourite, not just because of its Christmas-y vibe but because it’s a wonderful feel-good movie. No matter the season, it’s my go-to film to watch when I’m ill. This one is gold for many reasons, but notably because the protagonists are played by Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz and Jack Black. Incredible. Kate Winslet lives in a quaint cottage in the British countryside and Cameron Diaz in a mansion in LA, and they do a house swap for the Christmas holidays. Both women meet dashing men, and the rest is for you to discover…

Die Hard

This may be a controversial choice, but it is of popular opinion that Die Hard is indeed a holiday film. The screenwriter Steven E. de Souza said so himself. This one would be a good choice if you’re not the Christmas rom-com type. This film is an action-packed detective and hostage film with a soundtrack filled with Christmas classics. John and Al’s friendship is sure to fill you all with Christmas cheer.

On behalf of the Roar team – have a merry Christmas, despite the circumstances. Keep watching and keep laughing.

Staff writer Lauren Whelan examines the government’s new definition of extremism and argues that Michael Gove may fit his own criteria. Disclaimer: Some of...

During a channel crossing event in late February, six King’s College London (KCL) students formed the majority of a crew rescued by the French...

Chairman Lord Geidt was found to have broken lobbying rules following an investigation by the House of Lords Commissioners for Standards. The chairman of...

After the runaway success of their last production, staged inside the majestic baroque settings of the Strand Chapel, King’s College London Opera Society is...

Creative Corner

Creative Corner is a space to share your creative writing at Roar! We hope you enjoy this poem written by May Zaben Calloused fingers...

Staff Writer Vingie Lau reflects on the pressure of parental expectations and the cost for children – the main topics of the movie ‘Time...

Staff Writer Joe Breuer ranks their experiences of some of their favourite cinemas in London Since finishing my research for this article, it’s time...

Staff Writer Joe Breuer provides an insight into ‘Dune: Part Two’ reviewing its journey from the first movie and its place in the current...

Staff writer Margo Sautelle dives into the coquette aesthetic, raising questions about the real implications of the trend, the meaning of girlhood and the...