Upcoming: Sustainability Week at King’s

This week, King’s campuses are being taken over by a festival of sustainable events, food, stalls and workshops.

A new drive from King’s Sustainability will include clothes swaps, ethical beauty workshops, vegan bake sales and a screening of Wall-E.

The Introduction to Sustainability at King’s talks will give students and faculty a chance to meet the team responsible for the College’s targets and performance. Games and prizes can be won at the pop-ups.

Updates are expected regarding King’s energy usage and sourcing, but it should be noted that as of October 2017 all purchased electricity has come from UK renewable, carbon-free wind power.

To add to this, on Tuesday from 1630-1800, there will be a tour of the solar panels at Great Dover Street which have been supplying the residence with renewable energy since 2016. Champion Hill residence also sources its energy from solar panels.

On the 4th of February, a new policy came into action that charges a 20p levy on disposable cups at King’s cafes. Money raised will go into a fund reserved for student sustainability initiatives. This was a continuation of policies from March of last year that ended the use of plastic straws and reduced single-use cutlery.

With this year’s addition of the Vegan Cafe in Bush House, the King’s community is being forced to examine more their individual and collective environmental impact – and what can be done to reduce it.

Members of the Sustainability team will be approachable at all events and locations to discuss their work, plans and opportunities.

During a channel crossing event in late February, six King’s College London (KCL) students formed the majority of a crew rescued by the French...

Chairman Lord Geidt was found to have broken lobbying rules following an investigation by the House of Lords Commissioners for Standards. The chairman of...

After the runaway success of their last production, staged inside the majestic baroque settings of the Strand Chapel, King’s College London Opera Society is...

Creative Corner

Creative Corner is a space to share your creative writing at Roar! We hope you enjoy this poem written by May Zaben Calloused fingers...

News Editor Daisy Eastlake looks into the British accent divide and what it means for social mobility within the UK. Like many university students,...