Freshers Fabric-less…No Longer!

Being the Michael Jordan of modesty, I was averse to taking all the credit, but if they insist...from fabriclondon.com

After Islington Council revoked its licence in September, Fabric has been granted back its licence. All you freshers, well by now it’d be a shame if you hadn’t tasted a bit of nightlife that made you marvel at London, but if you haven’t yet and cutting shapes to techno in a sweat dungeon until 7 in the morning sounds like your cup of tea, rejoice!

Being the Michael Jordan of modesty, I was averse to taking all the credit, but if they insist…from fabriclondon.com

Indeed, in what can be dubbed by all a victory for common sense – in a year fraught with some pretty iffy calls (damn you 2016) – the council reneged on its decision. They revoked the club’s license because it was not doing enough to police illegal drug consumption within its walls. Which if you’ve been to Fabric-like venues, you’d recognise that reason as either crazy or only valid if then literally every other club cut from the same fabric – whey – does significantly less.

As someone who preferred other venues and had no intentions to go to Fabric again, it’s important to outline that this decision is beneficial to me and to anyone into the “culture.” What Fabric represents, and the contributions it has made are significant, and its reopening can only be good for the culture, whilst on the flipside its closure was a major blow.

So cheers Sadiq Night-Time-Economy Khan, you really sorted that one out, which is to say you made a silly situation that shouldn’t have happened unhappen, which really plops us back at square one. But hey, the night tube, I’ll give you that. Even if you didn’t accept my application to be London’s Night Czar.

The #saveourculure was started in the wake of Fabric’s closure, but the job’s not yet done with the reopening of one club in a city that has seen over 1,411 clubs close since 2005 (that terribly specific number was the count in 2015), there is work yet to be done.

Some of the fallen; personally bitter about Plastic People

Cameron Leslie and the team are currently “burning the midnight oil” in order to sort the bookings and promotions for the grand reopening, so if you lamented its closure depriving you of the chance to go, dry your eyes mate, you’ll get your chance soon.

News Editor Daisy Eastlake looks into the British accent divide and what it means for social mobility within the UK. Like many university students,...

Staff writer Charlotte Galea takes a look at the history of the building which neighbours the King’s College London Strand Campus. Somerset House has...

Staff writer Au Young Yiu Wai examines the methods Heathrow Airport could adopt to become a more student friendly space. Amidst the flurry of...

Turnout-related drops in drink prices at the Vault and Guy’s Bar during the 2024 King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU’s) elections led to total...

On March 13, 2024, the KCL Politics Society hosted the second iteration of its Bi-Annual Political Debate on Strand Campus. Staff Writer Alice Fu...

Staff Writer Evelyn Shepphird reviews the National Theatre’s ‘The Motive and the Cue’ and its faithfulness to the 1964 ‘Hamlet’ it dramatises. ‘The Motive...

Staff Writer Joe Breuer ranks their experiences of some of their favourite cinemas in London Since finishing my research for this article, it’s time...

In her role as the Chancellor of the University of London, Princess Anne visited the Centre for Neuroimaging Sciences at King College London’s (KCL)...