Autistic People Less Prone to Making Emotional Decisions

autism

Researchers at King’s have found that people with autism have enhanced decision-making skills, compared to those without autism.

They are also less susceptible to the “framing effect” – a tendency to make decisions based on how they are presented.

A study published October 13 in Molecular Autism examined how people with and without autism responded to a computerised task. The participants were asked to make decisions about whether or not to gamble, in situations where they could either “lose” or “gain” a given amount.

According to the researchers, the two groups demonstrated different decision-making strategies. Those without autism tended to let emotions influence their decisions. Showing an awareness of internal bodily sensations – like their heartbeat – this group was linked to more emotional decision-making, bringing new meaning to the phrase “following your heart.”

Those with autism used a more rule-based strategy, consistently maintaining their decisions, regardless of whether their choices were framed positively or negatively.

“Autism is often considered a negative thing,” said Punit Shah, a researcher at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Neuroscience.

“Although people with the disorder struggle in social situations, and we should help individuals with this and other disorders, we should also be studying and reporting potential strengths found in this condition.”

Got a story? Get in touch with us at [email protected] or phone us at 0207 848 2692

Staff writer Au Young Yiu Wai examines the methods Heathrow Airport could adopt to become a more student friendly space. Amidst the flurry of...

Turnout-related drops in drink prices at the Vault and Guy’s Bar during the 2024 King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU’s) elections led to total...

On March 13, 2024, the KCL Politics Society hosted the second iteration of its Bi-Annual Political Debate on Strand Campus. Staff Writer Alice Fu...

Interview

Researchers at King’s College London (KCL) have pioneered a ground-breaking method for degrading and recycling single-use bioplastics. Roar sat down with Dr Alex Brogan...

Science and Research Correspondent Jana Bazeed discusses a new treatment for migraine prevention that will soon be available on the NHS. For the first...

Business

Multiple departments at King’s College London have had long-standing relationships with the Ministry of Defence. These partnerships have come under recent attack from the...

Culture Editor Alex Blank on the new Amazon Original series “As We See It” and its portrayal of autism. “As We See It” is...