London film: location, location, location

King’s is a fantastic place to study for so many reasons; it’s a beautiful university with a friendly atmosphere, strong internal connections with some of the best researchers in the world, and the place where I can honestly say I have experienced the best years of my life. But one of the most exciting things about King’s is its location.

Being situated in the heart of one of the best cities in the world, means you get to see the beautiful sights, views and experience the culture of London in its entirety every day. There is always something to do in London, whatever your budget- in fact you can enjoy a great deal of London without spending a single penny.

You can go sightseeing, take in the history of London at one of the many free museums and embrace the excitement along the South Bank or in Covent Garden, whatever tickles your fancy London has it all. There is not one person in this world who can say that they get bored in London.

As a bit of a film-fanatic I want to draw your attention to enjoying all that London has to offer in terms of film and celebrity. London has been the filming location for so many films over the years, so why not take a stroll around London and see some of the most famous locations the film industry has to offer- for example go to Notting Hill and see if you can meet Hugh Grant in the local bookshop (I wish!), go to the fountains in Hyde Park and imagine Mark Darcy and Daniel Cleaver fighting over Bridget Jones, take a boat trip along the Thames and pretend you are James Bond on a secret mission- you get the picture, choose one of your favourite films that was shot in London and then go and see its real location. What’s more? Why not head to Leicester Square when a film premier is on and see if you can do some celeb-spotting (take an autograph book and a camera with you, just in case!) However, if classic or independent films are more your cup of tea or if you just want to try something a little bit different, then head to the BFI (it’s right on your doorstep) where you can tickle your curiosity with something new  and exciting.

In London there is always something to do or somewhere to go that will make your day amazing, from film to shopping and from art to history there is something for everyone in London, no matter what your budget is. And it just so happens to be the home of King’s- a top UK and global university, with fantastic prospects for future graduates and a great, welcoming, friendly and all-round awesome atmosphere in which to be a student. King’s is the place where I have had the best times of my life and the place where the rest of my life begins.

Roar writer Arjan Arenas looks back at “Paris, Texas”, a beloved film about a man haunted by the demons of his past.  Warning: If...

Roar writer George Jackson talks to Fred Baillif, a Swiss social worker turned film director, about his new feature film, “La Mif”, a challenging improvisational...

Comment Editor Samuel Pennifold on the UK Government’s decision to go ahead with the easing of all Covid-19 restrictions on July 19. The UK’s...